What Are The Best Mallet Putters?
The mallet putter is great for anyone looking to purchase a new putter. You don’t have to be a beginner golfer to appreciate a mallet putter. Golfers of all experience levels use these putters in various ways which help them improve their game on the golf course. Below is information that will help anyone choose the best mallet putter when they’re looking to purchase a new putter for themselves.
Mallet putters have more characteristics in their design than those conventional blade putters have. Mallet putters also have bigger clubheads too. Although the blade putter and mallet putter have similar club faces, the mallet’s clubhead is bigger and has all kinds of shape choices available. You can choose very abstract shapes or ones like a squareback or half circle.
The clubhead of the mallet is weighted which helps it stabilize the head on the putter through the impact and stroke.
Below are the best mallet putters in which we have determined to be highly rated based on our research of their pros and cons.
Best Mallet Putters List
Odyssey Works Versa
The mallet putter known as the Odyssey Works Versa is a very forgiving, well balanced, and stable putter which gives users confidence in their short putts and their ability to get the golf ball close to the cup.
Strong alignment has always been a commitment of the Odyssey putters out there. The Odyssey Works Versa not only gives you this strong alignment ability, but it makes it easier for players to align the ball when making putts.
· The performance is very stable. A lot of golfers have started using the Odyssey Works Versa ever since the ban on anchored putting. That way, they can still have the stability that they love.
· It is easy to control the distance with the Odyssey Works Versa. Many golfers have reported that it is very easy for them to judge distances when hitting puts that are well-weighted.
· The Odyssey Works Versa mallet putter offers great consistency, which can reduce the amount of feedback given to the user that other putters can provide. It can be almost indistinguishable between a bad strike and good strike.
Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura X5
If you like putters that look great, then you’ll want a Scotty Cameron putter. The Futura X5 contains Dual Balance technology that consistently gives players a putting stroke that is balanced and stable at all times. If you are a golfer that finds it difficult to maintain consistency in your putting strokes, then the Futura X5 will give you a big advantage out on the golf course.
To give it more stability, the putter head of the Futura X5 is heavier by 50 grams. To offset this, the top of the putter has a counter balance weight of 50 grams. Golfers will find this perfect for when they’re transitioning to a conventional putter from one that was anchored.
· Great control over the distance. The Futura X5 has a club head with stability that was cleverly designed which gives players the ability to have a repeatable stroke. This will allow them to quickly increase their pace while out on the greens.
· The built-in weighting on the perimeter of the putter ensures that you make contact with the ball, even if you swing poorly.
· It feels great. The putter face makes a soft sound with each stroke that is performed.
· It can be hard to control. The counterbalance system is unique which makes the added weight much heavier to fix when poor strokes are made. However, this should not happen too much with the Futura X5 model.
· There are few features that help you align the putter.
Cleveland Smart Square TFI
The Cleveland Smart Square TFI has superior alignment features, thanks to its Dual Axis Alignment that makes it quite unique when compared to other putters. The Dual Axis Alignment consists of 2 squares located on the putter head’s top which allows users to frame the putter’s line much more accurately and effectively. Cleveland states that users will get to increase their accuracy by 23% with this putter.
The Cleveland Smart Square TFI consists of 17 various components. These are state of the art materials like polymer on the backside and a face made of copper-infused aluminum so you can feel the putter better.
· Great alignment. Anyone with trouble lining their putts will want this putter because it will help them tremendously. This help comes from the top of the putter’s head which has two squares with parallel lines on them.
· It is easy to control putts that are medium to long range. The putter feels soft and allows users to nudge the ball effectively toward the hole. It will hardly ever move past the hole.
· The putter feels soft. The putt’s vibration is absorbed by the head which is why it feels soft off the putter’s face.
· This putter is not the best for greens that are fast. Due to its soft feeling, the user may have too much confidence in their putts when lining them up. If the greens are too fast, the balls may move quickly past the hole.
· The design of the putter is not the best. A lot of users think the putter’s head is too square shaped.
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser
There are 4 different models of the Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser available. This putter gives users more forgiveness throughout the face of the putter. That way, putts that are hit poorly will still make good enough contact with the head in order to get near the hole.
The Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser’s grip and head feature built-in weights that are adjustable, making this putter truly innovative while giving it the versatility to evolve with any game.
· The putter’s versatility is great. There are 3 different weights for the head and there are even counter balance weights too. This allows users to get their preference for the feel by adjusting the putter accordingly.
· The putter face has a soft feel to it, which means it creates little noise with each thud.
· The putter has built-in alignment features which help users line up their putts.
· The face of the putter may be too soft for some users. A soft putter face tends to make it harder to get quicker feedback.
Nike Method Converge
The Nike Method Coverage is a putter designed with built-in stability and a large face. Forgiveness is a key feature from this design. That way, if you do not make the perfect stroke, you’ll still make effective contact with the ball and help it roll consistently.
The putter’s head has an alignment aid with a red T-shape design. This will enable you to line up your putts and make them successful.
· The face is very responsive. The ball bounces right off the putter’s face, making it roll aggressively on the green. This means you don’t have to put much force into your putts when trying to get the ball in the hole.
· If you don’t usually hit the face at its center, do not worry because the stability of this putter makes it very forgiving.
· The feel of the face remains consistent.
· The feedback is not so great. Since the feel of the putter is so consistent, it may be hard to know if you’ve made a bad putt or a good putt.
Odyssey Metal-X Milled
The milled roll technology of the Odyssey Metal-X Milled putter contains oval depressions on the putter’s face in order to enhance the friction when it makes contact with the ball. As a result, the consistency of the rolling is improved.
The adjustable weight system of the putter is another awesome feature that will make sure your putter is suitable for the game you are playing.
· Despite this putter not having an insert, the oval depressions of the Odyssey Metal-X Milled provides users with a great feel due to the small amount of friction felt during impact.
· The forgiveness levels are quite impressive. This putter minimizes poor strikes and helps promote good ones.
· The alignment features of this putter are great. Like most Odyssey putters, this one has superb alignment aids to help you putt better.
· The golf ball bounces fast off the face because there is little friction on the putter face. Some people may like this feature while others may find it difficult to handle.
Brainstorm Golf Happy Putter
The Brainstorm Golf Happy Putter is known as the disruptor. It features various levels of customization that are truly revolutionary such as weighting, offset, lie, and loft that are all adjustable. This putter can be customized in a way which accommodates any strike ability or type.
The putter provides an overall solid performance and a face feel that is pleasing.
· A very innovative putter. There is a lot of visible technology included with it which makes the putter totally unique and unlike any other putter.
· The appearance of the putter is very striking. It contains a head with bright colors which almost makes it a statement type putter.
· Great stability with this putter. The ball striking will stay consistent and will feel mostly the same whether you’re hitting poor strikes or good ones. This putter is much more than just a gimmick.
· Some people might consider the bright colors of the head to be a con while others might not. It is really a matter of preference.
· A social player may be intimidated by this club. With all the adjustable components included, an amateur golfer could become discouraged from wanting to use it.
History of Mallets
In the last few decades, mallet putters have increased in popularity amongst golfers. Many professional golfers are using them including Jim Furyk, Nick Faldo, and Padraig Harrington. Now, amateur golfers are starting to use them too.
Even though mallet putters have grown in popularity in just the last few decades, they have been around for many decades before then. Over 100 years ago, an American golfer named Walter Travis was the first to use a mallet putter in a golf game that was stylish. He ended up winning the 1904 British Amateur Golf Tournament too. Travis’ putter was called “Schenectady,” which was stylish and fashionable. It was designed by an investor named Arthur F. Knight. However, the Royal and Ancient banned this putter because of its mallet head. In 1952, the ban was finally lifted and it was able to be used again.
Why Mallet Putters Are Popular
- There is a large sweet spot with mallet putters which helps users have putts with good rolls without pushes, pulls, or twists which typically follow poorly struck putts.
- There is more balance with this putter because it weighs more than the average putter. This means you won’t have as much skidding or bouncing if you don’t hit the ball right in the center of the head because that additional weight will take away these problems.
- The added weight found in mallet putters help players on the green tremendously. Amateur golfers, in particular, will certainly benefit because it will help them get closer to the pin than they usually do. The important characteristics of putting such as pace and rhythm will always be maintained with the extra weight as well.
- The faces of mallet putters are balanced instead of the toes being balanced. This allows the putters to remain straight during a stroke while the backswings open less and the follow-throughs close less. If you have a straight back, then you will want a putting stroke that is straight-through too.